10
Posted 8 July, 2014 by-Ministry of Culture and Sports in Heritage
 
 

National Museum of History

Base Legal

.Agreement 26-46 23 February 1946 creation IDAEH
Government Agreement 282-2007 Museums Collection
Government Agreement 7-2011(According Reform 282-2007) Museums Collection
Law on Protection of Cultural and Natural Heritage
National Museum of History.

Users' attention

schedule: Lunes a Viernes of the 9:00 a 17:00Hrs.
Address: 9ª. STREET 9-70 ZONE 1. Historical Center, Guatemala City
Email:Museh@hotmail.com
Fax:22536149
Admision: Foreign National Q.2.00 Q.10.00
FREE ENTRY STUDENTS
Access to the museum, transport means: Autobuses Ruta 9 ª. Avenue Northbound, Rutas 10ª. South Avenue Address, Rutas 9ª. Street Northeast

Museo de Historia Nacional_clip_image002

HISTORY :

The museum was founded in 1976 with the intention of creating a space for the history of Guatemala. It was originally located in the basement of the National Library , Central Passage in the National Palace, Also in the house of Doctor Robles, on 11 between calle 6 ª. 6th Avenue. A avenida zona 1. The 2 January 1984 moved to its current location. This building are category "A", by classification of properties in the Agreement of Culture and Sports 13 August 1998.

BUILDING

One of the few buildings left standing after earthquakes 1917 and 1918, was the Registry of Deeds , Built in Barrio Santa Rosa, on land that had been used by the Trent College Huerta, located in block 79, Current 9th Street and 10av Zone 1, Economic importance sector, Cultural Policy and the time.

The building designed to have all kinds of water safety, fire, deterioration and loss of such valuable documents starts the 17 September 1894 and its inauguration was held on 16 September 1896.

BUILDING NATIONAL HISTORY MUSEUM OPENS 16 SEPTEMBER 1896. PROCORBIC RESTORED BY THE GENERAL DIRECTION OF CULTURAL AND NATURAL HERITAGE MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND SPORTS

Museo de Historia Nacional_clip_image002_0000

JOSEPH HALL MAYOR BUSTAMANTE

Deep brick base and were built the foundations. Its walls have reached up to one meter thick on the outside and a minimum of 0.60 meters in the interior. The structures of the walls have been reinforced with iron and attached by means of straps. The tendaleria of mezzanines also built with iron. Wood was placed only in the places I was absolutely necessary, as this is a combustible material.

On the second floor false ceiling was placed, which was made of metal mesh mezclon and sections of iron, finally giving a smooth finish to the wall topped with a stucco molding.

The front entrance has a marble staircase from national quarries and here used for the first time. The marbles were carved Granai workshops and then mounted on the walls. The cornices, moldings, auction, friezes, rhinestones and other simple elements, were performed, stucco wall on foreign.

Basement windows are secured with glass, wire and balconies. The central courtyard is covered with a cover glass supported by a steel structure. The cover and iron spiral staircases were made in the workshops Ayau. The cancel, Also iron, A workshop on. Witting. All these details highlight the innovative use of construction materials and design, thereby building high quality and functionality was achieved.

This architectural style presented a new concept of spacing that could meet the needs that the industry of the time required, retomándose historical styles, then introducing, the so-called "Eclecticism". He style building "Neo-French Renaissance" to cost about 200 thousand dollars this high 14 meters from the sidewalk (but 1.50 meters that has a vaulted basement) on a plant 742.72 square meter .

Its facade, symmetrical and flat with little highlighted protrusions has three horizontal sections corresponding to the three levels inside, finished each one with carnizas in each floor are increasing complexity su, increases as its height and ornamentation. In the basement section dominates a simple socket.

Vertically divided into 5 way sections of towers placed in each corner of the building and between two towers on 9th Street, this cover.

The windows are located one above the other and like cornices, va su ornaments increasing.

Its interior spaces, perpendicular to the facade, altered only by the spiral staircase, that occupies the west space entry.

East, with marble staircase, has a double height. Face it the courtyard is, that can accommodate 300 people, having two large galleries on the top floor and is apparently located in the center of the building, which is also a double height space and has four steel columns that support the hallways of the second level and come from the basement. This courtyard was used as a conference room and meetings. This circulated corridors that separate this through arches and stained glass.

The 22 parts used for offices in the first two floors, have enough lighting and ventilation for large windows. Inside height dominates the proportion.

The vaulted cellar was built exclusively for the file and possibly maintenance room there and sanitation were placed; Tickets are located on the sides of the hall.

For earthquakes 1917-1918, The building suffered some damage inconsiderable, especially in the east wall of the facade, but, that of 1976 was destroyed by 50 percent, at the Registry of Deeds could not continue working in that place. Then it was decided to allocate this site for the construction of a parking lot and demolish that Congress "Old Building". In the early eighties the Lic. Magda Hernandez and chronicler of the Lic City. Miguel Alvarez got the building was respected by Real regarded as representative of a witness to the architectural manifestations of late nineteenth century and was included in the Cultural Heritage of the Nation. For poseer un Artistic and Historical Value, since it is at this time where the movements that give rise to the contemporary architecture of the country are brewing, the Executive Branch issued the number agreement 13, Date 5 July 1981, and this building is allocated to the Ministry of Education to house the National Museum of History, since its founding in 1934, did not have its own building.

Restoration of the building began on 2 January 1984 and to date conclude that under the leadership of the Institute of Anthropology and History.

Salon mayor José de Bustamante, Colocación de Piso de Marmol.

Salon greater José de Bustamante, Placing Floor Marmol.

SERVICES

The museum takes its thematic investigations inherent, which are reproduced in magazines. in the same way are published in newspapers and redifunden in other media, as radio and television.

museological projection in the museum seeks to train staff, with the objective of promoting the growth of the same, both in research and new exhibitions and related activities .
Education

conferences are organized, Concerts, Sightseeing film screenings.

lends advice to students and researchers, as well as information to the media when it is required.

Other services

the museum has a documentation center, and library, offering services and advice to those who wish to investigate issues relating to the history and related sciences.

it has a collection of films and audiovisual issues Salvaged history of Guatemala, There is also an archive of thematic and monographic research on power point-

39,978 total views, 7 views today


-Ministry of Culture and Sports